Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Equinox: shedding the bonds of winter

Last week in Meeting for Worship, I had Suzanne Sterling's chant "Inanna" running through my head. 

Why?, I wondered.  That's very much a fall tune.  And realized, well, yes, that was in my head at Fall Equinox.  And here we are, half the year later, half-way 'round, at Spring Equinox. 

These queries came to me:
  • What wholeness have you found underground?  In winter?  (Take a moment before going on to the next query.)
  • What truths?  (Take a moment before going on to the next query.)
  • What bonds of winter, of the underworld, are you shedding as you emerge into spring?  Into the sunlight?  (Take a moment.)

The music that came to me next was another song/chant I learned from Reclaiming, "Snake Woman":
Snake woman, shedding Her skin
Snake woman, shedding Her skin
Shedding, shedding, shedding Her skin
Shedding, shedding, shedding Her skin...

Blossom woman, opening wide...

And some of the Spring parts from "Kore Evohe," by Sabine Becker and John Schrag*:
Kore, bright and wild, Summer's blessed child
Spring incarnate and joy in bloom...
Life uprising from Winter's tomb
Kore, evohe!  Kore, evohe!  Kore, evohe!

Welcome, Spring!


No comments: